Value Wines from Tasting Info!
Here’s a new section we’ll feature from time to time: well-made wines of good value.
In this case we’re looking at bargain/value red & white wines.
The criteria are: good, well-made wines under $15 worth more than their cost.
We list at least one retailer, though there may be others. Prices are approximate.
• Mauco Cellars 20001 Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon @ Coop/ Simple, smooth/$14
• Los Cardos 2001 Malbec from Argentina @ Wine Cottage/ Deep, rich/$10!!!
• Laguillou 2000 Cabardes from France @ Superstore/ Deep, intense fruit/$12
• Promessa 2000 Negroamaro from southern Italy @ Centre Street North/ Soft, fruity/$14
• Simon Gilbert 2000 Shiraz from Australia@ Crowfoot, WPK/ lots of fruit/$14
• Colle di Catone Rosata 2001 @ The Cellar / off-dry for salad, pizza or ?/ $14
• Robertson Shiraz 2000/ South Africa @ Willow Park Wines/$10
• Robert Skali 1999 Minervois @ Crowfoot/ Deep, rich flavors/$12
• Torres’ 2001 Rosado rose/ great summer sipper (pasta salad?) @ Kensington $12
• Altozano Crianza La Mancha @ J Webb/ Tempranillo, Merlot & Syrah, oak, spice $10
* Wally's Hut Shiraz, Nugan Estate, Aus / not huge, just good value / about $10
* Periquita by JM de Fonseca / Portugal / an old standby, the 2000 is great/ $12
* Mandolin a delicious new line from California (esp Pinot Noir & Zin) includes Cab, Syrah, Chard, Sauv Blanc at smaller stores (Sally's NW, Crowfoot, etc.) <$14
* Parsons Creek Old Vines Zinfandel 2001/ California/ surprisingly intense plum & tobacco flavors & only 13%/ great with burgers/ OK Liquor
• Swagman’s Kiss 2001 Sem/Sauv/Chard @ many stores/body,oaky $12.50
• La Vielle Ferme 2001 Cotes de Ventoux @ Superstore/clean, light $11
• Rawson’s Retreat from Penfolds 2001 Chardonnay @ W Park/ fruit, oak $10
• Fonseca Albis 2001 WPark & Kensington/Muscat & Arinto, honey fruit, balance $10
• Parrina’s 2001 Ansonica from Tuscany @ J Webb/ floral, citrus, bone-dry $14
• Stoneleigh 2001 Sauvignon Blanc @ J Webb etc/ floral, tropical & yummy $15!
• Pepperwood Grove 2001 Viognier @ WPark/ light fruit style, classic taste/ $14
• Inniskillin 1998 Klose Chardonnay @ Crowfoot/ age gives it slight Reisling feel/ $11
• Dunavar 2001 Pinot Gris from Hungary @ Kensington/Wpark/ apples, great with salads $10
• Grand Prebois 2002 Rhone blend w Marsanne & Viognier @ J Webb/ lovely / $11
• Fetzer Echo Ridge 2001 Gewurtz/ Superstore/ like Muscat, perfect deck wine $11
* Mandolin Chardonnay & Sauvignon Blanc 2002 / California / clean, fresh under $14
Any other suggestions? Go to FEEDBACK & let us know…